Thursday 12 February 2009

SENTENCE COMPLETION Tips

  1. If there is no main verb, you should first identify the 'subject' of the sentence.
    Then, you can eliminate any choice that does not contain a conjugated verb.
    Further, any selected conjugated verb must agree with the subject (in number and tense).
  2. If there is no main subject, you should identify what the verb in the sentence is.
    Then plug in the choices and verify that the one you select agrees with the verb.
  3. Eliminate choices that contain extra words, especially pronouns, verbs, or modifiers.
  4. If the sentence contains a main subject and a main verb, you should eliminate any choice
    that is an incorrect part of speech, or does not agree in form, number, or tense
    with the rest of the sentence.
  5. If the sentence contains neither a main subject nor a main verb, you can eliminate any
    choice that does not provide both a subject and a verb, and does not agree completely
    with the remainder of the sentence.

adapted from: http://www.testinfo.net/toefl/toefl-tips.htm

1 comment:

  1. 1I want to share how I increase my vocabulary. I use flashcards. A major benefit of the flashcards is that they are extremely portable, comfortably fit into my pocket. If I am standing in the queue at the movie theatre or the mall I pluck them out kill some time by revising them. To make cards I use Accelebrain tool.

    ReplyDelete

Test Your English Headline Animator

Custom Search

Footer